Sunday, September 22, 2013

Of bums and fake floods


Dr. Mitchell-Buck was right; the Miller’s tale was very amusing. Although, I did not originally think it would end up being amusing because, I kept thinking that Alison, the Carpenter’s wife was annoying. She seemed fickle to me, and I haven’t given up on that idea yet but other than that the whole story was like some sort of twisted and raunchy sitcom. First of all, the scholar Nicholas is a sly dog. He basically whisked right into the story and stole Alison right from under the Carpenter’s nose. Plus there was the incident where Nicholas convinced the Carpenter that Noah’s flood was coming, “Shal al be dreynt, so hidous is the shour” (3520). I cannot believe that he bought that foolish tale that the scholar sold. That was ridiculous enough but of course it gets better. The funniest part was when the Absolon kissed Alison’s butt. (This was also a really shocking scene as well… I did not expect it at all). My face when I read that was basically like this:

Were you guys expecting Alison and Nicholas to pull something like that off? And to add to that, were you expecting the guy to come back with a hot iron and burn the skin off of Nicholas’s bum? There was much more bum in this story than I thought there would be. 

1 comment:

  1. I have read the Canterbury Tales before, but of course I read the crappy high school edited version, so I never really found this tale to be that big of a deal. However, upon reading it in all of it's uneditied glory, I basically had that Home Alone face for, like, the entire duration of reading it. Especially the part where it says:

    "For wel he wiste a womman hath no berd;

    He felte a thing al rough and long y-herd,"

    Mmmm....thanks for that image, Miller...I really needed that on my pilgrimage to a sacred site...

    ReplyDelete