Monday, September 16, 2013

Reading A Foreign English


     If I am to be honest, I have been dreading this moment since the first day of class. (Sorry, Dr. Mitchell-Buck!) The art of blogging I have little experience with and this mode of communication and expression I find very intimidating. I know, I am not living up to my Millennial generation stereotypes or expectations. So, here goes. . .

     To begin: I don't know about the rest of the class (since the poll taken today during class was answered blindly), but I will admit that my first read of The Canterbury Tales (that I am proud to say was attempted aloud, Dr. MB) of the opening lines of this piece were difficult, scary and, just like writing this blog, intimidating. For the first time, I was speaking broken English and experiencing the bitter taste of learning (Middle) English as my “secondary” language. I now empathize with ESL students! Well, not exactly, but nevertheless, I thought I was going to be a lost cause in the realm of learning Middle English. And although, I was mesmerized my the melodic and lullaby qualities of it being read in the audio clip, the meaning behind the pretty words on the page confused and escaped me.

     Today's class period, though, filled me with relief and I've got a feeling I'm not the only student who felt this way either. The lesson on Middle English pronunciation through reading it correctly has effectively sparked a renewed interest and stimulated excitement about continuing to read this Chaucer-ian work.

     One of the thoughts that struck me as we read this foreign form of English was how similar it was (in its sound and written form) to the other languages, especially European languages. I kept hearing words that sounded like French, Spanish, Italian, a 'confident Scotsman'. . .it reinforced how interconnected the world's languages are and obviously were even back in the Middle Ages. And I wondered if this also struck some of my classmates. Did any of you also think Middle English words resembled those of other languages in sound and composition? Which ones in particular?

1 comment:

  1. You are sweet. I am completely used to people dreading the first day of Middle English. Heck, I may have dreaded it too, but it was so long ago I have since forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete