Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What a Girl Wants, According to Chaucer

Ok, here I am shamelessly writing about the Wife of Bath again, but after today's discussion in class can you really blame me?

Throughout our discussion of whether or not Chaucer meant for the Wife of Bath to be feared by men and admired by women, I couldn't help, but think about if Chaucer actually meant to portray what women really wanted out of a relationship.

Let's consider the facts, the Wife of Bath was married five times, but she only really loved her most recent husband, Jankin. Jankin was really the only man to ever stand up against the Wife of Bath's tyranny, even for just a brief moment through some pretty intense domestic violence. In addition to rising up against her, he also makes her see that he's cool with her doing whatever, just as long as she doesn't forget about him in the process.

"He yaf me al the brydel in myn hond,
To han the governance of hous and lond,
And of his tonge and of his hond also;
And whan that I hadde geten unto me,
By maistrie, al the soveraynetee..."

(Lines 813-818, The Canterbury Tales)

This passage in particular makes me think that the Wife of Bath and Jankin had a very radically progressive relationship. And by radically progressive, I mean basically modern by today's standards. I don't know about you guys, but in my house my mom and dad basically do whatever (as long as it's legal and not going against their marriage vows), but when it comes down to it, my mother has the final say.

That's just point one.

Point two is that their marriage actually seems to improve after this dispute. I mean, she even states:

"After that day we hadden never debaat.
God help me so, I was to him as kinde
As any wyf from Denmark unto Inde,
And also trewe, and so was he to me.
I prey to God that sit in magestee,
So blesse his soule for his mercy dere!"

(Lines 819-827, The Canterbury Tales)

After they have their dispute, the Wife of Bath is basically given control over everything that is rightfully hers, while Jankins is just along for the ride. I think this speaks to so many women, and even men on a certain standpoint, because who doesn't want a relationship where everything is equal? Isn't that the point of even being in one?

Anyways, I love the Wife of Bath and see no flaw in her; minus her tolerance with domestic violence: NOT COOL! But for the time this was written, I suppose that was pretty normal. Anyways, I feel weird for not having any fun pictures or videos, so here's a picture of Betty White; who I can totally see as playing the Wife of Bath if they ever made The Canterbury Tales  into a movie.

2 comments:

  1. So, I commented last night but for whatever reason the internet hated me and it never appeared. Sigh. I agree with you as to the nature of their relationship. Most everything about the wife of Bath is progressive and by the time she married Jankins she was confident as well as self aware. I doubt a younger character could have pulled that off. I love that this marriage to a younger man, over whom she could exert some direct control, was her best and that when she had the opportunity to switch the division of power, she chose to meet him more as an equal. As untasteful as the physical confrontation was, I think it was necessary to even the playing field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete