Sunday, October 27, 2013

Benvolio (Doctor Faustus) Confusion!



Okay, so I have came to the conclusion that I honestly do not like this book. I just can't connect with it for some reason. However, I would like to talk about the character Benvolio and his horns. First, I want to talk about this one line that Benvolio said because I thought it was pretty interesting. "...for they say if a man be drunk overnight the devil cannot hurt him in the morning. If that be true, I have a charm in my head shall control him as well as the conjurer, I warrant you" (55). These lines have so much meaning, it is just hard for me to figure out what they mean! At this point, I believe Benvolio is planning to attack or seek revenge on Faustus. However, what does this mean "...for they say if a man be drunk overnight the devil cannot hurt him in the morning..." (55)? Maybe I am thinking too much about these lines and it really doesn't have much meaning. I was thinking maybe it meant that when a man is drunk he cannot remember his actions, so the devil cannot harm him the next morning in anyway? So could this mean that Benvolio plan is to be intoxicated and seek revenge upon Faustus? The next morning, Benvolio will not receive any hurt because the "devil" (Faustus) cannot attack him? 
I know this seems really confusing, but this is how much these lines are driving me crazy. Maybe one of you could help me analyze them?? 

Now, what do the horns that were placed on Benvolio's head symbolize? I thought of maybe it was to resemble shame or to label him as a outcast. This is because on page 59 around line 106, Benvolio says" 'Sblood, I am never able to endure these torments". So Faustus places these horns on Benvolio because he is a believer in God? Also, because Benvolio wants Faustus dead? Line 22 page 61 states, "If Faustus die, Take you the wealth, leave us the victory." Could this mean that Faustus places the horns on Benvolio because Benvolio is planning to kill him? I feel like I am missing some reasoning of why Faustus and Benvolio want to attack one another. Maybe it is because one is a believer in God and the other is a devil. Lastly, after reading a little more I realized that there was a fight between the devils (Mephostophilis, Faustus, etc..) and the soldiers (Benvolio, Frederick, etc). The devils leave Benvolio, Frederick and Martino heads and faces bloody and they all have horns! Hmmm... What does all of this mean????????????????????

2 comments:

  1. Re: the horns, there are two things to know. 1) see the note to line 4.1.54. 2) horns are a symbol of being a cuckold, so there is definite shame attached to that image! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete