Thursday, October 31, 2013

Isabella's justification

I was baffled today by the question “was Isabella’s choice justified?” and not because I didn’t know the answer: because there is a clear answer and I’m a little bit disgusted that it was actually a question being asked.
No one is ever obligated to justify not wanting to have sex with someone else. Maybe Angelo grossed her out, maybe he was creepy, maybe she really wanted to be a nun, or maybe she just doesn't swing for that team. None of these questions/justifications are necessary. Isabella didn't want to sleep with him, end of story. It doesn't matter if her brother is going to die because of it, it is her choice and her choice should be respected, not scrutinized for how justified it was.
Not to mention that even if you read the story without the scene we watched in mind, even if you interpret it as word for word what is written and no more, Angelo is trying to coerce her into sex. He is using her brother’s death as blackmail for her body. That is rape and she had every right to say no to him.

Sorry, this just bothered me so much during class and I had to post about it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely! It isn't a matter of why Isabelle did what she did; it's a matter of Angelo being a giant creep. People want a justification for Isabelle's choice, but not one for Angelo's proposal. Should it matter why a woman says no to a man who clearly wants to have sex with her? I think the only thing that matters is that she said no and Angelo still told her to come back and give him her answer. Not to mention that the clip we watched in class made the scene a thousand times worse than when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more! I feel as those Angelo is one of those guys that doesn't take "no" for an answer. He needs to get what he wants when he wants it. Which is clearly seen throughout the play by him not letting go of the whole "I must have sex with Isabella and will do anything I have to to get my way" idea. And using her brother as a means of having sex with her, is beyond disturbing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete