Saturday, October 5, 2013

Love 'em and leave 'em

In the last few weeks I've really struggled to find a topic I felt strongly about. Yeah, I think the Wife of Bath is interesting, but honestly, she's really said it all already. I didn't feel like I had anything to add. It wasn't until I read her story that I found myself with something to say.

I was already familiar with the story she told. I don't remember reading it, but I must have, most likely when I was a lot younger. I'm pretty sure that in the version I read the same woman who was raped at the beginning is the one the knight ends up marrying. The story Chaucer tells us doesn't specify, but it seems to me like the sort of thing he'd mention. “And whan the knight saugh verraily al this, / That she so fair was and so yong thereto” (1250-1251), “oh, and she was the same woman he wanted so badly in the beginning of the story,” Chaucer never said.

So what happened to her? Obviously, she got justice, of a sort at least. We never know if the queen's solution was acceptable to her or if she would rather have seen his head roll. Sadly, this is a prime example of the unconscious and unintentional sexism rampant throughout many cultures and eras; she showed up, got raped, and that was all the storyteller needed from her. Of course, perhaps she preferred to fade into obscurity.

However, life had to have been hard for her after this. Obviously, the stories of King Arthur's court, as well as his idealized system of laws and governance, are either a fictional tale or a highly romanticized and exaggerated story, so we don't know what protections might have existed for her. However, there are still areas of the world today where a woman who has been raped will be charged with adultery. Even if she was protected, as seems likely under Arthur's fair laws, she had to have suffered some ostracization. Human nature is consistent enough that you know someone would have blamed the victim.

I think that, as a young woman, clearly unmarried since she was a “mayde,” this event would have been an impediment to finding a good marriage. Really, since the knight got away with his life, I really think the least he could have done would be to give her a rich dowry to offset the damage he did. He was certainly happy to offer all his worldly possessions to the old woman to avoid marrying her.

The blame here could be placed on the knight, persisting in his selfishness, but it could also be placed on whoever originally told this story. I'd love to know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I had so much trouble reading this story because of the fact that she was just a plot device. She was used to get the plot rolling, and then we never hear from her again. I would love to have heard what happened to her after this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you brought to light the affects that the Knight's actions may well have had on the maid he raped. It is something I too have considered and thought about a lot, wondering what ever became of her and whether she was stigmatized as a result and how that affected her future. Somehow, I wish Chaucer had clearly enlightened us on this topic. If she is truly never again mentioned in the text, I would feel the tale left an issue untended. I feel compelled to argue otherwise though - that she is indeed mentioned later on in the text and in fact playing a pivotal role in the Knight's salvation.

    It is interesting that you brought up the fact that she is used as a plot device - used to place the Knight in a precarious position and then never to be mentioned again. It indeed seems that way at first glance. I actually wrote my paper on this topic where I argued that there are actually passages in the tale that allude to the old, ugly woman being a transformation of the maid that has been dishonored. As telling of the patriarchy running rampant at the time it would be for the maid to be used and then "discarded" from the story, I think that would only be too much of a simplification of the genius that is Chaucerian narratives.

    ReplyDelete