Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Wife of Bath: Prologue vs Tale


I have spent a lot of time this since reading "the Wife of Bath" in trying to determine whether “The Wife of Bath’s Tale” matches the tone in her prologue. I have come to the conclusion that they do.

The Wife of Bath is dominant character. She is outspoken and forceful. She is seemingly aware and in control of her life, and has a clear idea of what she wants out of marriage. Originally, I thought that her main goal was to control her husband, but, it turns out, that what she wants is to have a partner.  She did not want a master, or to be one, but instead be someone’s equal companion. When the wife of Bath describes her last husband, she says, “God help me so, I was to him as kinde/ As any wif from Denmark unto Inde/ And also trewe, and so was he to me.” (823-825).

Originally, I did not think that “The Wife of Bath’s Prologue” and “The Wife of Bath’s Tale” did not go together. Her idea of partnership is not answer the knight receives as to what women want. The old woman in the tale tells the knight that women want to be in charge and in control of their husbands.  This seemed opposite to the relationship the wife of bath had with her fifth husband, but after reflecting there is a moment in the tale that shows the knight and the woman becoming partners. After the knight tries to refuse the woman, and she responds to him, then he
            …adviseth him, and soore siketh,/
            But ate laste he seide in this maere:/
            ‘My lady and my love, and wif so deere,
I putte me in youre wise governaunce.
            Cheseth yourself which maybe moost pleasaunce,/
And moost honour to yow and me also.
I do not fors the wheither of the two,
For as yow liketh, it suffisth me.’ (1128-1235).
This passage is not showing the wife taking power from her husband, and being the one in control. This passage more shows him offering what he has to her freely after he reflected on their exchange. When he says to her “Cheseth yourself which maybe moost pleasaunce/ And moost honour to you and me also” (1231-1232), to me, I feel like a partnership has taken place. By him offering himself to her, the knight has elevated her status. He includes himself, asking her to consider his needs as well.
           
So, after looking at this situation with the knight, it seems to me that the Wife of Bath does connect to her tale. The responsibility that knight puts into his wife, is similar to the responsibility Jankin put into her. It’s not just a responsibility of property, but also a responsibility to protect another person. Both of these men ended up elevating their wives station and worthiness in their marriages. They are not simply props, who make life difficult for their husbands, but get to be active participants in their marriages. This was a good story for the wife of bath because it wasn’t about dominating, it was about being appreciated and valued in their relationship.


No comments:

Post a Comment