Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Utopia

     I was in charge of the Literary Lingo powerpoint with Jordan, on allusion. Although I had prior knowledge of allusion and what it entails, I was surprised and my lack of knowledge in its frequency. In my English classes, we are constantly looking for allusion throughout the text, but who knew there were examples of it in everyday life! I am thoroughly enjoying being able to annoy my sister by pointing out examples of allusions when we are out and about. She has completely had it with my repetition of the example using the Odyssey minivan relating back to Homer's story.

     Although I was not in class for the debate about Paradise and Utopia, I have my own idea of the two. I don't believe either exists. Paradise is a make-believe place in my eyes. It is a place where everything is perfect and relaxing. Well, anyone who has ever lived knows there is no place to go without being stressed by one thing or another. I believe paradise is more of a mind set. I think anyone can be in paradise, no matter where they are in the world. It is all about understanding that nothing has to stress you out, make you unhappy, or cause you to make certain decisions. Everything is only what you make it. Somewhat like the offensiveness in The Miller's Tale, it is only what you make it to be.

     Having a place like a Utopia is impossible. That sort of thing could only happen if everyone had the same mind set. It has to include things like war in order to run things "correctly," but that idea of correct is made by people who have lots of different opinions on what is "correct."

    I don't think either place actually exists, really. There will never be a point in time when everyone is on the same page.

2 comments:

  1. Hayley,

    While it's a lovely idea to have everyone on the same page, I agree with you in that Utopia cannot really exist. People, especially in the world we live in, are far to stuck in their ways to view anything the same way. The idea of people being far to different and stuck in their ways is seen each time an election year roles around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utopia is something that everyone strives for but is seriously is impossible to ever reach. Paradise on the other hand can easily be created but it's entirely up the eye of the beholder. I can think of many places that can be considered a paradise, but I can't think of one that would be even close to a utopia.

    ReplyDelete