Friday, November 15, 2013

Angelo Did Not Handle All This Well…..

I want to go back to Measure for Measure, to a discussion that has stuck with me about Angelo. A question was asked as to how could the people think that Angelo was a good person, and then when he took the place of the Duke, he behaved as he did? My thinking on this matter is that his position changes him or brought the worst out in him. I agree with everyone that Angelo is a terrible person, but I think that if he had stayed a “commoner” the likelihood that he would behave the way he did would be less likely. The reason I believe that Angelo would not behave in the way he does towards Isabella is because he would not have been in the position to behave in that way. As a commoner he is expectations and behaviors are different because he is a follower to his government, but when he becomes in charge, people become responsible to meet his expectations, which in his mind gives him the right to behave in anyway he wants. As cliché as this idea is, this image sums up my feelings of Angelo’s behavior…..




So, this idea of “with great power comes great responsibility” (thanks Stan Lee) screams Angelo to me because he was not able to use his position responsibly. He didn’t behave in the interest of the people, but rather in the interest of himself.

Post 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment