Monday, November 25, 2013

From poem to prose

     Paradise Lost is an amazing poem that requires much analysis and trying to figure out what the subject of the sentence is can be tough, but the close reading we did in class really helped me grasp the meaning of it as a whole. It would be neat if we could continue reading it, but alas there is not enough time in the year. Now as we are reading Oroonoko, it seems easier to read than especially the poem of Paradise Lost.
    Taking a step back from the prose though, I have to think that it cannot be as easy as it seems. There seem to be a bunch of hidden meanings that one has to keep an eye open for, and I cannot wait to see how we analyze this in class.
     However interesting prose can be, I sometimes find more enjoyment in the analysis of poetry because there can be so much more depth within one line of poetry than sometimes one book itself. Poetry is rhythmic and beautiful and although harder to grasp, it is easier to memorize when rhyme scheme comes into play. I love poetry, but I also love reading prose as well.
     As a general consensus and as a poet on the side, I want to ask the class your opinion on which is easier to read: prose or poetry?
    And... does that opinion differ from what you enjoy reading more: prose or poetry?





Reference: http://www.poetrysansonions.com/2012/11/a-post-title-without-prose.html


Blog Challenge: 3 of 5 :)

2 comments:

  1. I prefer to read prose, and I think it is generally more simple to read. With poetry everything has a purpose; the line, the break, the rhyme scheme, the word choice, the meter. There is a reason for each different element of a poem far more than word choice ( I believe we all witnessed this in "Paradise Lost").

    When I read poetry I struggle with two things. First, I read the words and miss a lot of the other choices the author made in sound, pace, and structure. Second, I am so stuck on catching all the different elements that go into the poem, that I do not actually read the words or get the meaning.

    I think Prose is the simpler of the two. There are more text to read through, but the ideas are usually easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y our graphic absolutely reminds me of Emily Dickinson. Everything magical in life is poetry while the mundane is relegated to the "prosy" realm of reality. I prefer to write poetry, but I have to be in the mood to read it. Prose is more like the old fuzzy blanket you can crawl into when the world gets to be too much.

    ReplyDelete