Sunday, November 17, 2013

Groups and Liking It!

The in-class group projects this past week are obviously the topic of conversation, and my blog will be no exception!

I used to hate in-class group discussions. They never really helped me to wrap my mind around the topic for the day. Mostly, they would just force me to look at the clock more frequently, hoping time would somehow start moving faster. But alas, I have found myself enjoying group discussions more and more. After a horrific and maybe even traumatizing (okay, I may be exaggerating) experience with Paradise Lost, I came out of Thursday's class feeling much more confident. I realized it was okay for me to feel sympathy for Satan. As a matter-of-fact, Milton was purposefully trying to bring those emotions out from the reader!

Our group focused mostly on line 263. Yup, just one line from the poem! As short as it is, this line speaks volumes about Satan's outlook on his situation. I am starting to think that Satan is just trying to be positive. Okay, so he is Satan and has the desire to take over all of Hell, but at least he isn't just crying about his mistakes. I would actually consider him to be a realistic guy. Sulking about bad decisions has never gotten anyone anywhere, in my experience. I think Satan knows he is stuck and can't go back. I think he knows he could repent but is much too proud for that. Plus, he doesn't want to serve. He wants to reign! His desires may not be morally correct or sane, but at least he is committing to what he wants!


http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-dinosaur-Satan.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I agree! Working in groups the past few class sessions has been a nice change of pace. It's interesting to see how different groups come to conclusions about a certain topic/character. I'm still marveling in the fact that our group picked one line out of the entire poem to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked the line you mentioned. It makes Satan seem...optimistic… If that's even possible. Religion focuses on the evil and nastiness of the devil and never really highlights what he's good at, which is taking his new situation and running with it. Even though he failed to take over heaven, he does rule hell. It really makes it seem like a desperate fight for our mortal souls…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the group discussions is definitely an effective way to get the class involved in the lessons and the readings.

    Also, going to have to agree with the spirit of the Philosoraptor. There's a lot of contradictions in a lot of beliefs, but I think that one needs to be looked at a lot more closely. I think that by having Satan so obviously attempting to defy God, Milton does a good job of avoiding making a direct stance one way or another as to whether or not he thinks this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Hayley. Working in a small group then moving to a bigger one seems to help enormously with getting an opinion from everybody in the room. Sometime in a large group discussion, I get so distracted by what everyone is saying that I never really say anything. I'm more of a listener.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too. Our methods of classroom discussions have made understanding a lot of our texts a lot more helpful. I am generally a quitter person so I feel that in the smaller groups I have more of an opportunity to talk out some of my ideas comfortably, but then talking about things with the class after brings the ideas together. I know I have put this in a couple out comments, but I found this incredibly helpful with Paradis Lost.

    ReplyDelete