Monday, November 11, 2013

Isabella and Claudio: Family Feud

I'm going to bring us back to Isabella and Claudio for a second because apparently I saved a draft and then assumed it fell off the face of the Earth.
Now that we've had class about this whole brotherly/sisterly love situation, I feel like my view may have changed a bit.

When I first read the scene where Isabella goes to tell her brother that she wasn't going to sleep with Angelo to free her brother, I was so irritated with her. I mean, Claudio was arrested for sleeping with the woman he loves, the woman he plans to marry. When I saw that Isabella wasn't going to do what Angelo wanted her to do, I was so upset that she was condemning poor Juliet to a life without a husband and her poor child would never have a father. I saw Isabella's decision as one that was keeping Claudio from the love of his life and Juliet from her happy ending.

Plus, if Angelo slept with Isabella, he would be committing the same crime he arrested Claudio for, so he would have to be sentenced to death too, right? Happy ending for everyone, right?

But after we discussed this scene in class, I realised that I wasn't really thinking about Isabella in all of this, and then I realised it wouldn't be a happy ending for everyone. If, after this tryst, Isabella gets pregnant, Lord knows Angelo's going to turn the other way on that one. Scum canoes just aren't built to be dads. Plus she was training to become a nun (do you train to be that or...Sister Act didn't prepare me for this) and sleeping with Angelo would essentially ruin that for her. Sure, Claudio would be free to be with Juliet, but Isabella would have no future, and I'm sure she wouldn't be able to marry after that point. I'm sure maybe there'd be someone somewhere, but her chances are slim.

Maybe I haven't changed my view fully but I am definitely a lot more conflicted about this scene then I originally was. At first I was like, "No no no, Isabella just sleep with that icky Angelo it'll be fine, Claudio needs to live!" And while I still believe that yeah, Claudio definitely needs to live (which he does, thankfully), I know understand that Isabella needs to consider her future in all of this.
And I agree with Jordan that, Isabella didn't get Claudio in this position so why should she throw away everything for him?

Plus let's be real, no one wants anything to do with this scum canoe, giving me the heebie jeebies. May God be with Mariana.

1 comment:

  1. I just couldn't imagine my sibling being in such a situation where he honestly didn't do anything wrong. For me, I would totally do what I had to do to save my sibling, but I would have played some hardball. Angelo is such a hypocrite that I would have gotten real mean with him real quick.

    ReplyDelete