Sunday, November 10, 2013

Next On Jerry Springer: Do You Have A Duke Ruining Your City With His Self-Glory Plan???

This play is supposed to be a comedy. I was not amused! It had its funny parts but the humor is seriously comparable to Jerry Springer. I mean come on, name one other show that has just as much sex drama. Measure for Measure could seriously have its own episode. They need some professionals after the whole thing was over. 
If you've ever seen Jerry Springer, the Duke would definitely be the guy who comes out last that all the girls or guys try to beat up right when they get on stage. 
Why not Angelo? 
I'm sure he would have gotten his fair share before the Duke shows up, but I see that the Duke should get most of the blame. 
This entire play, the whole thing, the madness is caused by this single man. He doesn't want to be the "bad" guy and punish his people, so he hands all of his authority to Angelo with hopes he will take care of things. Then the Duke takes a "vacation, when he really just dresses up like a friar ready to start some shit.
We all know that Angelo takes his power to extremes and can be seen as a slimy hypocrite throughout the entire play. However, the duke the whole time was causing drama on his own. He made this entire plan to get Angelo for the same crime, he "saved" Claudio, and doesn't harshly punish any of his people for breaking the law (except Lucio). He was the hero! Yipee.
Not impressed.
This guy had this plan the entire time. He wanted to look good in his people's eyes and try to get the girl at the end. Poor Isabella. If I was her, I would have stayed just as silent. With my luck I would have said something that got my head and Claudio's head cut off real quick. 
It's kind of disgusting how the Duke got his attention and "glory". He caused all of that drama for people just to come out looking better than he did before. 
If I had a say, I would say off with his head.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you compared Measure to Measure to a bad episode of Jerry Springer! Although Shakespeare is probably crying in his grave hearing this, I think it was a very unique comparison. I don't watch that show much, but I can only picture it is something like Maury. Which would be interesting to say the least. I also agree that the Duke ended up being quite an annoying character. At first, I was on his side. By the end though, I was pretty irritated that I was trying to defend a man who mainly had his own interests in mind. I hope that Isabelle is somehow able to avoid that marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I didn't like the Duke either. He goes off because he doesn't want to be the bad guy, and yet he lets all these crappy things happen while he's gone. And when he gets back, he doesn't really do anything about it! He wants the laws to be enforced better but when he comes back and realises they still aren't up to par, he pardons those sentenced to death anyway! I understand Claudio, but Angelo? Really?? I mean Angelo was in charge to whipping this town into shape and he doesn't even do that. And then the Duke just wants to marry Isabella like, "Hey girl, I know I tricked you and I know you've been having a rough time but uhhh...I think I'd make you a great husband." No no, Duke. No no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'll be back, honey! Going outside for a smo- I MEAN, to take the dog for a walk! Kettle's on the stove next to the pile of folded towels!"

    Fifteen minutes later.

    "What do you mean the house nearly caught on fire? I was only gone a little while! It's a good thing I got home when I did, and managed to douse the fire before it could spread! I love you honey."

    And that's what the Duke was all about, Charlie Brown.

    ReplyDelete