Sunday, November 3, 2013

Second Time Around

This is my second time reading Measure for Measure and I was hoping that my feelings for this play would have changed. Sadly, that isn't the case. I find myself comparing my reactions between the first time I read the play and this time.

Angelo has found new ways to make my skin crawl, which I didn't think was possible. It's one thing to be a sleaze ball who wants to jump any girl that breathes, but it's another to be a sleaze ball who wants to sleep with your sister who wants to be a nun. Really Angelo, are you that afraid of any kind of commitment that you have to keep your sister away from convent life?  In the beginning, I thought that Angelo would redeem himself later in the play, which he sort of does, but not enough to change the initial impression I have of him. I guess once a sleaze ball, always a sleaze ball.

This time around, I was really hoping that it has been long enough since my first reading for my subconscious to have forgotten anything and everything about this play that I could look at it from the clean slate perspective. I guess it was as disturbed by such a prevalent character as I was.   

No comments:

Post a Comment