Saturday, November 2, 2013

Two Characters of Confusion


So I feel as though Lord Angelo was the character that our class had the most questions about. For me however, two characters that I had the most questions about were Isabella and the Duke. Something that I do not understand about Isabella was when she left the nunnery to go seek out her brother Claudio after Lucio implores her to go save him. “I will about it straight, No longer staying but to give the Mother Notice of my affair. I humbly thank you. Commend me to my brother. Soon at night I’ll send him certain word of my success.” (Act. 1 scene 4, 94-98) I don’t understand why she was naïve enough to think that she wouldn’t have to partake in some sort of unfavorable act to in order to save Claudio, and why then was she so willing to leave the nunnery? Isabella didn’t spare a second thought to leaving, and yet all she expected she would have to do would be to plead and beg Angelo? I guess I’m just surprised at her quick action and dismayed at her naivety.

            The Duke also confuses me. We talked in class about how he was a coward for letting Angelo step in to reinforce the rules of Vienna, and yet he is a caring coward. No true coward would have lurked around the city in disguise to see what was happening to his people. What I wonder is if he will step in as himself, and not as a disguised friar later in the play. All this advice he is lending out as a friar is well and good but right now his people need him to be rightful king. I am hoping that as we read on into the play Isabella and the Duke will become clearer characters to me.

3 comments:

  1. I also had the same issue with Isabelle. I mean, she clearly isn't a stupid person and it was quite obvious as to why Claudio sent for her instead of any other person. I can see why she left the nunnery so quickly, he is her brother and she wants to help. But it does seem silly that she leaves and then gives up pleading so quickly. You would think if she was devoted to the nunnery she would make her trip worth the sacrifice of leaving. Maybe not by sleeping with him, but at least trying a little harder when she was pleading! As for the Duke, I think he is just a wuss. I think being a coward and caring can definitely go hand-in-hand. The reason he is a coward is because he doesn't want to look bad or hurt anyone. I think he realized that he made a huge mistake and now he is trying to cover his behind. I just hope he owns up to it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely see where you're coming from with the Duke. For someone who is in a position of power, he does an awesome job of letting others take lead. He has more important matters to attend too, or so he thinks. I will never understand why he felt the need to dress up and walk around the city just to keep track of people. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it is possible that Isabella is just that naive, it seems more likely that she just doesn't know Angelo. If Anglo hasn't been in charge before, most people wouldn't know what he's like and she might assume that her brother's impending execution is due to a wacky misunderstanding. I mean, come on, the guy's practically married, right? Surely no one has explained that to Angelo. Likely she figured it would take little more than a quick explanation and her brother would walk free. Maybe that's why she was ready to give up so quickly when it turned out that Angelo was just that strict.

    ReplyDelete