Friday, December 6, 2013

On Early Establishment of Tone

Before we begin, let us take a moment to recognize that we can be critical of things that are often considered “inappropriate” in polite conversation. Especially when such things are in fact, part of canonical literature. Having discussed the Poop Passage in class, I feel as though it is acceptable to briefly consider a much earlier example of “are we really talking about this” with regard to Gulliver’s Travels’ tone.

For me, the moment that I knew from the reading (and not from having been told “this is satire, and meant to be funny”) that this particular text was one written to be amusing was in the second (lengthy) sentence of the text, where Gulliver informs us that he was apprenticed to a man named James Bates. The slight chuckle that this got (me thinking ahead to realize what this meant Mr. Bates’ relationship to Gulliver was) did indeed become actual laughter (that I felt guilty about) as the text continued on, when “Mr. Bates, my master, encouraged me,”.

“But my good master, Bates, …” whose fate is ultimately a little sad and not too noteworthy, helps to immediately let the audience know that this whole book is going to be a little bit ridiculous. The initial humor is vulgar, though not exactly provocative, and it catches the reader’s attention.

Was I the only one to get a chuckle out of poor Mister Bates? Was his presence of so little consequence that you forgot about him entirely? Was there a later passage that you found a little more vulgar? Or one that made you feel guilty about laughing over?

---

4 of 5

2 comments:

  1. I agree whole-heartedly that the "poop passage" in Gulliver's Travels is meant for a pure comedic effect. It reminded me a lot of The Miller's Tale, actually (which was one that offended some and helped others like me, to enjoy the story even more). I did not however, catch on to your James Bates character. This may sound silly, but I am still a bit confused as to the true meaning of that name. Maybe I will ask you about it when I see you in class next. The main part that gave me a good laugh was the description of his fecal "process." I really enjoyed that only two men were in charge of that wheelbarrow...how unfortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that one slid right past me. Very subtle, Swift. I bet not too many readers notice that, including the original ones (and dare I say, the publishers?)

    ReplyDelete