Thursday, December 12, 2013

Recap of the Semester!

Well, the semester is basically over. All that's left are finals, and then we're done for winter break. I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed taking this class, despite my never talking! I didn't think I was going to be all that interested in the course material, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of what we went over in class I had a genuine interest in. Of everything we've read this semester, Beowulf is by far my favorite. To be honest, everything was pretty boring compared to Beowulf, although I enjoyed much of everything else we read! I just think that Beowulf was the most badass, and kept me turning the page the most out of any of the other books as I read on. I liked the style it was written in, how seemingly simple yet complex the characters were, and the themes that it went over, especially pride and human folly. It was crazy how Seamus Heaney was able to decipher the old English and translate it into an order of words that actually made sense. Beowulf was easy to read compared to the Canterbury Tales and Paradise Lost, so, props to Seamus.  

I think that understanding how our language has evolved into what it is today is very important. Seeing how literature has developed over hundreds of years is crazy to think about. As an English major especially, I believe that it's vital to my college education to learn about how the more modern literature I love has come to be. By taking this class, I've learned more about English, England, how different life was leading up to the 18th century, and how different our language today is from how it used to be hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

In closing, I want to say that it's been a pleasure learning with all of you in this class, and I hope to see you all around campus next semester. Thanks especially should go to Dr. Mitchell-Buck for making a subject that I thought I would have no interest in interesting. I know that I didn't do as well in this class as I probably could have, but at least I managed to show up to every class, and I still enjoyed myself!

Have a great winter break everybody!

8 comments:

  1. I think it's neat how Beowulf was easier to read, and I too enjoyed this semester. British literature is actually one of my favorite subjects as an English major, and I enjoyed seeing how the language has changed over time. I never knew that when I took British Literature in high school, and when I teach high school one day, I hope to be able to share this knowledge with my students as well. My favorite is Canterbury Tales, but that's also the one I was most excited to read coming into the class. Now time for the final!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like we all have our one favorite book from the class. Personally, I found Beowulf to be a bit too run of the mill macho for me. Utopia was my own favorite, but that's just because I enjoy reading about other odd 'idyllic' cultures.

    Brit lit was a great course to have, especially as an English major who needed a bit of dabbling in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Beowulf was one of the best stories we've read! The way that the English language has developed over the years is interesting as well. If things were still in Middle English I would probably dread reading anything! Trying to interpret Middle English was by far the most difficult thing we had to do in class---I hated it! Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that my favorite book that we read was probably Measure for Measure, partially because I am used to Shakespeare's style and it was much easier for me to understand than Paradise Lost, which I found difficult to get through. I also enjoyed Canterbury Tales, once I was able to get past the Middle English, and it was an experience since I have never had to read Middle English before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dat Paradise Lost. Why you so beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not an English major but I completely agree with your idea of how important it is to understand how our language has evolved. Its actually a bit like history and since I'm a history major I see how vital it is to know the stories that came before us and understand how to read them because if we don't take that jump then it is lost. Like the Canterbury tales for example, Middle English is pretty difficult but it's so important to understand it and appreciate the way language used to be

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you on Beowulf. He is definitely badass and it's definitely easier to read than Paradise Lost!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked Beowulf too, but it was one of the text I struggled the most with. However, I liked that we started there, and we really saw the evolution of language. It was interesting the types of texts we read, but my favorite was "Measure for Measure". I thought it was a different type of Shakespeare play than what you typically hear of, and I liked the idea of power in this play.

    ReplyDelete