Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Savage Civilization



The class discussion yesterday, was uncomfortable for me. It was not because of the topic, although the discussion of slavery and inequality is inherently uncomfortable because it is so fundamentally wrong, but because the criteria felt fuzzy. My problem was and continues to be in the subjective nature of the terms “civilized” and “savage”, and perhaps that was the point.(?)  Even the interweb is conflicted:

A lack of scary masks determine civilization?

Or is it simply the ability to manipulate?
We felt like before we could begin to categorize the characters of “Oroonoko” by level of civility, our group had to establish criteria for what exactly constituted each and what we arrived at was a level of organization and technological prowess –the more developed a country was, the more civilized its society. And while our definition worked, in a way, it prevented us from making the sliding scale of douchebaggery that we really wanted to. If we had categorized in terms of civility toward fellow humans, then I feel the native “Indians” and Britons would have swapped sides on the scale with the “Indians” taking the place for most civil and the Britons at the opposite end of the spectrum. But to minimize this, the author subtly suggests that the only reason the natives are so kind is because of their collective naiveté – they just don’t know any better or they would be just like “us”. This assertion is unsettling as it insinuates that the natural state of a civilized human is dishonest and cruel, and I’m just not buying it. Perhaps this was a ploy to soften the indignities presented to the reader by what would have been their own nationality, but it feels an awful lot like rationalization to me.

Yeah, there’s just no rationalizing this.
            I don’t think even after class that I’m any closer to reconciling my feelings on this and it bugs me – and I think that it should. Rereading the last few pages, and keeping in mind Jordan’s comments about how O’ is really the only character that evolves during the piece, I wonder if he isn’t meant to be the example of civilized man. Behn gives him dignity in death that is usually reserved for Stoic Philosophers who were portrayed as the perfection of humanity. Should the ability to recognize injustice and wrongs and to change because of it be the mark of civility?
 Post 4 of 5

2 comments:

  1. I see where you're coming from and while I can't say I totally relate, you made a great point towards the end of your post. You mentioned that Oroonoko is the only character that really evolves, this had me confused as well. I don't see how Behn can write a story such as this, where so many characters have the possibility to grow and evolve but in the end only pick to focus on one. If that was the intention all along, then why incorporate so many characters? I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Behn is trying to say that Oroonoko is the example of how Europe can civilize these "savage" societies in general. That was a big movement during this time period especially when it came to North Africa, so maybe Behn is trying to show that this is what they need to do with Sub-Saharan Africa as well.

    ReplyDelete