Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Grendel dies, then Momma whops some ass.

Beowulf is one of my favorites, especially when I read it in high school my senior year. 
I find the whole situation of Grendel's attacks on Heorot very ironic. This great mead hall, "meant to be a wonder of the world forever", built by the mighty King Hrothgar was taken over by one single monster. The Danes were powerful and I assume they won many battles, yet they're all almost  slaughtered by this ONE monster. 
I find it interesting that they cannot even get help within their own country either. No man or woman within Denmark steps up to try to challenge Grendel. Thank the Lord that Beowulf shows up! Even though I think his idea of fighting without any weapons... or clothes is a little, um, INSANE, he still manages to defeat the horrible monster. Of course the Danes are beyond thrilled that this man took on this monster, weaponless, but they all celebrate way too soon.
 Despite the victory, the irony comes back into play when Momma Grendel comes and, well, whoops some drunk Danes' asses. Yet again, it only takes one womanly monster to murder a decent number of men. But then again, it only takes one man, Beowulf, to kill both Grendel and his crazy momma. 
I'm just curious about the impact that just one individual can have, good or bad. 

I somehow deleted my previous post, so here it is resubmitted. 


5 comments:

  1. First of all, the title of this is epic. And second, I was thinking the same thing about how no one seemed to have the courage like Beowulf did in confronting Grendel. I would have liked to see a woman be the hero, rather than the villain, but in this time period it makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was strange that no one else in their country came to help defeat Grendel. In class we touched on the subject of Beowulf trying to make up for something his father did in the past to King Hrothgar, so I guess it makes sense that he would want to help. I just thought it was strange that he would come so far away to protect a King that isn't even his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes you wonder just what the population density is for their country that no one could spring in and give a hand. The way that the poem described it, the country might as well just be the mead hall itself. Likewise I always felt it a little odd that Grendel himself was tolerated for so long in such a bombastic culture, terrifying huge naked thing or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is interesting that it's Grendel's mother that avenges her son. Why did the author make it a woman and not Grendel's father? How would that change the story to have a strong male monster take up and avenge his son?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is interesting that it's Grendel's mother that avenges her son. Why did the author make it a woman and not Grendel's father? How would that change the story to have a strong male monster take up and avenge his son?

    ReplyDelete