Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thinking about "The Miller's Tale"

I was re-reading "The Miller's Tale" because I wanted to, I don't know, try to understand it more? I guess I really just wanted to re-read it to decide if I really as appalled by it as I originally thought, since not a lot of other students were. I thought maybe I was missing something.

After re-reading it and with the help of the discussion we had in class, I realise that I wasn't so offended by the story as I was the character of Nicholas. His character just disgusted me, honestly. And perhaps I had the same issue with this as I did "The Wife of Bath" where I just couldn't get myself to read the story in the mindset of Chaucer's time period. Maybe then Nicholas could go around being disgusting and...a groper because women basically had no rights, but it's hard to read that as a 21st century woman where that's, well, harassment, I'm pretty sure. And the fact that Nicholas's actions and really cheesy pick-up lines are rewarded? That just doesn't really sit right with me. That coupled with Chaucer's nonchalant use of "Queynte" just kind of makes me want to shy away and groan in disgust, because personally I just really can't stand that word, especially the modern, derogatory use of it. Which of course brings up full circle to my inability to read this without my modern-day and 21-century bias.

I guess I didn't really have a problem with the parodied version of Noah's story because I mean, we have parodies of Bible stories everywhere these days (Including the story of Noah. Just look at Evan Almighty). And trying to visualise John just hanging out on a roof in a bathtub is pretty hilarious.

And sure, Nicholas deserved some form of punishment for, I don't know, grabbing vaginas and helping Alison commit adultery, and while his unfortunate meeting with a hot poker wasn't offensive, it's not like it was tasteful, either.

But let's be honest, who doesn't enjoy a good fart joke every once in awhile, even if it shows up in the form of a clerk's very strange fear?

6 comments:

  1. Although I don't think I was as offended by Nicholas as you, I completely agree with what you were saying in that its all just a bit...much. It's so hard to put myself into the mindset of the fifteenth century where grabbing a woman like that is offensive for all of two seconds. But maybe that speaks to the type of woman Alison is? I personally think that if she were living in the twenty first century, she would be one of those woman who easily cheats on her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you phrased this. Because while yes, the story does offend me, Nicholas is really at the heart of all of my problems with it. He acts like an overgrown child with no boundaries or even basic respect for women. While Alison is by no means a saint I don't think she deserves the majority of the blame here. It's hard to try and read this through a 15th century mindset as a 21st century woman. Nicholas, at least in my book, deserved what he got, and probably a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicholas was one of the major reasons I found this story so uncomfortable. He's a gross, gross person and I totally understand where you're coming from with all of this.
    In regards to Christen's comment: I think it's important to remember that Alison does not fall in love with Nicholas until after he apologizes for grabbing her and woos her with words.
    And even if she had fallen for him when he grabs her, women are socialized to believe that violence against them is normal and desirable. How many movies have there been where a women attempts to leave and a man grabs her and kisses her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why people are offended by Nicholas, but for me I was offended most by Alison. I though she was a terrible woman, and maybe more in control than what people think. When I picture her, for some reason I keep getting images of Lindsay Lohan in "Mean Girls" in my head. While Nicholas is the one who instigates a lot, she is only so happy as to go along. For her part in all the events that took place, she came away unpunished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I never really thought of her like that. Nicholas's actions tended to overshadow my view of everyone else in this play. But I agree that Alison is very much as at fault as he is. She is, after all, the one who allows him to be so forward and she is the one who is willing to cheat on her husband at the end of the day. She did seem to come away rather unscathed from this whole...misadventure.

      Delete
  5. I can see why you are so offended by Nicholas' actions. I actually didn't have any strong feelings of annoyance or hatred towards him or any of the other characters. They were all a bit...much, but you have to keep in mind that a drunk man is telling the story. And even if he isn't exaggerating, so what? There are horrible people out there who still do that kind of stuff, but the best part is that we don't stand for it anymore. I think every teenager goes through a stage of poor judgment. I like to think of Alisoun's acceptance of his crude nature as one of the many learning experiences she has yet to endure.

    ReplyDelete