Thursday, October 31, 2013

I'm going to chuck us back to Faustus for a bit. Sorry to those who have already moved on. On the subject of God totally forgiving Faustus and being all 'come on back to the flock bro', I just don't see it happening. I realise God is meant to be this great forgiving dude but I also think he's a business man. Faustus made is contract with Lucifer and I think God would honour that. He'd be sad about the whole business, for a like a second, because let's face it, he's a busy dude, but I think he'd moved on pretty quickly. In my reading of the story Faustus was lost to God the second he signed that contract. Sorry bro, you sold your soul to the devil for twenty-four years of fun.

On that note, Faustus is sooo lame. Sure a prank here and there (a la his early pranks, not the cruel ones of later years) is okay if you have infinite power but you have infinite power! Do something great! I don't care if that great thing is also terrible (hello he-who-must-not-be-named). Just do something that makes a difference. Why screw over the poor guys you run into when you could cure the plague (again). You could make scientific or philosophical breakthroughs. Instead you spend your remaining 24 years dicking around like an overgrown frat boy? Come on man.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your opinion on Faustus. I think he made his decision and that Lucifer's description of God as someone who is "just," was very accurate. He made his choice and I don't feel bad that Lucifer actually followed through with the contract. I guess his choice of what to do with 24 years is just evidence to the fact that he is not the most intelligent character we have ever read about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think God wouldn't have accepted him back because...Faustus wasn't even "wronged" by God. He really had no reason for feeling like he needed to forsake God (as far as we know, he had a pretty good life, albeit lonely), he was just bored. He ignored all the signs he was given before he signed the contract and ignored the pleas from shoulder angels and old men afterward. So even if he repented (which I never saw happening in the first place) I don't think God would have been too cool with it.

    ReplyDelete