Thursday, October 31, 2013

Initial impression of Measure for Measure

I'm actually enjoying Measure for Measure, which is not something I thought I would be saying...or rather, typing. The first time I read the first scene, I was completely and utterly lost. But, once I went over it again, it made more sense, and the rest of the act as well as act two seemed to fall into place. Now I find myself genuinely curious about how the play will continue on.

That being said, I loathe Angelo. A lot. I don't see how he thinks it is a brilliant idea to make Isabelle have sex with him in order to free Claudio. He is asking Isabelle to do the same thing her brother is in jail for. That makes perfect sense. Angelo is just super sketchy, and I hope Isabelle continues to keep saying no to him....Sorry, Claudio.

Furthermore, I don't understand why the Duke gave all of his power to Angelo while he is away. I think Escalus should have been given the Duke's power, but he isn't even considered. I'm assuming we will eventually find out why the Duke chose Angelo, and I just hope he has a solid reason.

It's almost as if the power the Duke has given Angelo has gone straight to his head, so I would like to see someone knock him down a peg. Perhaps that someone will be Isabelle.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Taylor! Besides having the spoiler alert in class on Wednesday, I was also hoping that Isabelle would continue to say no because it seems as if Angelo has done this before and gotten away with it. The impression that I got before he even confronted Isabelle about it was that he seems to have a "soft spot" for virgins. I hope he learns a lesson from this and is even subject to the own punishment he wished to give, but that may be a little harsh even for him. Now we read to see what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you say that Angelo is sketchy. He is indeed someone I would avoid being alone in a room with! However, his actions do not surprise me. The fact that he is doing exactly what he is trying to kill another person for, only proves his lack of morals and his unpreparedness to be in charge.

    ReplyDelete