Friday, November 8, 2013

Elizabethan Reality: "Undercover Duke"



     As we were wrapping up our final thought on Measure for Measure last class, I couldn't help but notice how this play can parallel as an Elizabethan version of “Undercover Boss.” For those that are unfamiliar with this television show, “Undercover Boss” follows CEO's who disguise themselves and go to work base-level jobs inside their own businesses unbeknownst to their employees. As amusing as this might sound, I envision the Duke as being the original “undercover boss.”




      I realize several people were annoyed with the Duke for leaving his post; and, in some ways, I can see how the Duke could be blamed for everything going to pot in his absence.  The Duke did leave an immoral hypocrite in power when he clearly should not have been in any sort of authoritative role.  Furthermore, his being MIA nearly culminated in the loss of a life that could have been preserved under his own rule.  But I personally found myself much more amused than annoyed with the Duke.  To some extent, I even wanted to congratulate him for setting things up so Angelo's corruption was so clearly unveiled.  If the Duke hadn't left and Angelo hadn't risen to such a level of control, Angelo's true character and nature would not have been revealed to the extent that it ultimately was.  If all this hadn't happened, Angelo would have remained with power he was underserving of.  In fact, I believe that perhaps the Duke's “holiday of sorts" was a rather bold and clever scheme that can be easily likened to the modern reality show - “Undercover Boss.”  Using his disguise, the Duke was able to see firsthand the ways issues were dealt with in his absence, just as the CEOs in the show are able to nose around their businesses as disguised employees to analyze efficiency, productivity and customer service elements, etc.     

This link will connect you to a more visual representation of the kind of snarky B.A. reveal I would like to imagine the Duke pulls off when he pitches his friar disguise to the wayside. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYvt_pEolo

1 comment:

  1. I love your comparison to the show "Undercover Boss." I have never seen the show, but I know what it is about. It does remind me a lot of the Duke! I also agree that he was quite an amusing character. I give him credit for acknowledging the fact that he was not good enough to rule his people at that time. I also give him credit caring enough to come back in disguise in order to ensure that his people were taken care of. The only part about the Duke which threw me, was his proposal to Isabelle. I was disappointed in this act because I felt as if it threw away the prior feelings I had for him. It really makes me double think whether his actions were genuine or if he had a different motive. In this way, I think Shakespeare knew exactly what he was doing! He has the attention of every audience member, whether good or bad.

    ReplyDelete