Saturday, November 9, 2013

What Goes Around Doesn't Really Come Around

So I've always been obsessed with titles of novels and plays. How do these titles relate to the plot or theme or characters? Sometimes the titles are so obscure that I just give up. In our last discussion of the novel, we were discussing the Duke's motives and his actions. He wanted to whip the people back into shape because they were lazy fat lions. By giving power to Angelo, a cold-hearted tyrant, the Duke is effectively ensuring people began to obey the rules without doing so himself. The Duke is also analyzing or "measuring" the performance of Angelo in his absence. Is he really a good employee? Is he someone to be trusted? It's cool, I guess. So I figured that's why the play is entitled Measure for Measure; the Duke is measuring Angelo's performance. But, when I think of the phrase "measure for measure," it reminds of "what goes around comes around" or "you reap what sow." I just think it means that I'll give you or do to you exactly what you give me or do to me. So I was trying to figure out how the Duke is able to apply the punishment or sentence that Angelo deserves. In my opinion, Angelo doesn't get what he deserves. He gets married. What kind of punishment is that for almost executing a man and blackmailing a female into sex. This isn't "measure for measure." I'm just confused. I guess it all ties back into idea of mercy and justice as we discussed in class. Though, I may think death or at least jail would have righted the wrongs of Angelo, maybe an unwanted marriage was a far worst punishment. Welp...here my thoughts to wrap up Measure for Measure.

Blog Challenge Post 2 of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you bring up some extremely interesting points. I never even thought of the title, and they are usually my favorite part! It makes sense that you don't see why it is named "Measure for Measure." The same justice wasn't really served to both parties. But maybe Shakespeare did that on purpose. Maybe he wanted to trick his audience halfway through the play into thinking that it would be a "measure for measure" circumstance. I'm not sure though. This blog has really got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hayley, I've never really thought about titles playing into books (I typically just look for the character who awkwardly says the book title so I can laugh a little). And I agree that Angelo definitely got off too easily in this play. Especially since the Duke wanted to enforce rules more, but instead he was like, "Nah, you can get married even then you're a big tool nugget." But I wonder if this "punishment" plays into Shakespeare's social commentary on England. But yeah, even if he isn't killed, I believe Angelo deserves a little more than a slap on the wrist and a wife.

    ReplyDelete