Saturday, November 23, 2013

Not That Bad


This was my first time reading Paradise Lost and I have to say that I enjoyed the experience. It was such dense material that I was drawn into it from the beginning. It was interesting to see the perspective of Satan after his fall rather than that of God's, an angel's, or human's. The image painted of hell was so much of an opposite picture of  what it is commonly portrayed as. Milton's portrayal made me think so much differently of how hell could really be when I was raised to think it was only a deep dark hole of fire with an eternal burning lake. I think Milton's technique of utilizing Lucifer's perspective to emphasize God's grace and mercy was the most unique and creative way to do so and it caught my attention. I also enjoyed destructing the sentences and diction to get to the meat of what Milton was saying. Overall, I think my fist interaction with this novel was one that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I would like to read the rest of it...maybe.

3 out of  2

2 comments:

  1. This was my first time reading Paradise Lost as well, and I have to say that I agree with you, seeing Satan's transformation from angel to master of the underworld was quite interesting. I found that Satan character was particularly intriguing given the fact that Milton himself was a very religious man. The descriptions that Milton gave of Satan are simply amazing, not only are they detailed but they are written in such a way that you almost forget that Milton believes in God and everything He offers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first class we discussed Paradise Lost was terrifying for me, where we discussed the first sentence, because it was just so intense dissecting the sentences. What helped me the most was the close reading discussion we had in groups, so we could work through them together. After the first class we works in groups, I really enjoyed Paradise Lost and found it easier to decipher as well.

    ReplyDelete