Thursday, November 14, 2013

Spoiled Children, Homilies Against Disobedience, and other Milton Musings

I'm a mom and have spent most of the last ten years at home raising two boys. This dimension of my life colors my perceptions and translates into my literary interpretations with alarming regularity. Because of this, what struck me the most from Book I of "Paradise Lost" was the parent/child relationship portrayed between God and Heaven's most infamous fallen angel. God, of course, is firmly entrenched in Christian dogma as the Father of mankind, however; I hadn't considered the idea that this paradigm could extend from the realm of Heaven to the depths of Hell.
Satan is introduced as he is awakening to the consequences of his failed attempted coup. Literally stunned from falling from this unimaginable height, he is also shocked that he has failed, as well as hurt and angered by his expulsion from Heaven. His response is anything but mature. After comforting his troops, he assuages his himself with a demonic version of "Fine! I didn't need you anyway!" Instead of seeking forgiveness and possible reconciliation, he vows to devote his existence to thwart God. He will subvert good and spread evil for all of eternity. God's response is, of course, brilliant and benevolent. Instead of heaping further punishments on Satan, he shines mercy upon all who stray to evil. Satan's actions continue to heap pain and confusion upon his own soul. Much like a parent will give a rebellious child just enough room to learn a lesson, God extends free will to the devil, but he refuses to learn.
Another thing that gave me reason to pause, was the repeated use of the word "rebel" in all its various forms. I was immediately reminded of the "Homily Against Disobedience" which is also liberally sprinkled with the word. Given the history it seems highly likely that Milton makes Satan's mistake that of rebellion to reenforce state propaganda. Whether Book II confirms my hunch or not remains to be seen.



3 of 5

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps it's my ever-so-slightly rebellious nature, but I admired Satan's devotion to his own cause. It takes something, let's say "special" to be able to pick yourself up after a nearly crushing defeat and then say "If I can't beat you, I'm going to spoil your fun." It doesn't make him into a likable person (and I'd hate to play a game against him) but it does make him an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete