Tuesday, November 5, 2013

#TeamClaudio or #TeamIsabella

After reading Act 3, Scene 1, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the outcome. We just found out Angelo's proposition in e last act. If I was in Isabella's shoes, I would have said HELL NO, just like she did. But then I would seriously have to think about it because my sibling's life would be on the line.

Once Isabella goes to the prison to talk to Claudio, she finally tells her brother what Angelo said. At first, Claudio totally agrees with Isabella's decision. He says "thou shalt not do't" (Line 116). It's up for debate on how this line would be performed. I felt the sincerity and that he knows how important Isabella's chastity is to her. He had to know she was working on becoming a nun. This makes me very much Team Claudio. For him to say this first before questioning Isabella's descion, means a lot in my eyes. Once he does question the proposition, it's not like he's mean or harsh to Isabella. He basically says "it wouldn't be too horrible if you slept with Angelo". 

If my sibling was in a terrible situation and that was my only option, Angelowould definitely have to be decent looking for me to consider it. I'm sorry, but if I'm saving your unlawful ass the man better be somewhat good looking. I do, however, understand why Isabella chooses not to follow through with the plan. Their time period and today's time period are EXTREMELY different, especially with perceptions of premarital sex. If Isabella chose to sleep with Angelo, her life would be literally over; no nunnery or even respect from anyone. It would even get better after life; hell for eternity!!!

Overall, I understand Isabella, but I would totally save my sibling regardless. It would be different if Claudio had committed a horrible crime. All he did was sleep with a woman he loves and plans on marrying. It's not right that Isabella is being asked to break the very same law to save her brother, but what other choice is there?


2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I agree with you on the whole good looking part of it! If the guy is ugly and nasty I would have to give the situation even more serious thought than before. Especially in that time period and considering the career path Isabella wants to go into. Life will be hateful to her if she has sex with Angelo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Isabella's decision to not have sex with Angelo. I mean even if she consents to do it, she REALLY doesn't want. It's rape. It's awful, and something she would hate herself for doing for a long time and likely the rest of her life. Yes, she would save her brother, but in saving him she is destroying herself. It's just a bad situation all around.

    ReplyDelete