Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Was Justice Served?

This is a question I have been pondering since I finished Measure for Measure last night, and I have not been able to come up with a satisfying answer.

As much as I dislike Angelo, I am glad he did not die...I think. I'm actually not sure on that one. I do know, however, that I'm annoyed he married Marianna. I know that was supposed to be a punishment because he left Marianna and made people believe she had sex, but I don't understand how being married to a woman who loves him - despite all of his gigantic flaws - can be considered a punishment. While death may have been too severe, I would have accepted Angelo being locked up for a while or something. I just feel like he didn't really get what he deserved.

I totally did not foresee the Duke asking Isabelle to marry him. Am I the only one? That kind of came out of nowhere to me. And did she say yes? I mean, at the end the Duke told her what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine (Act 5, Scene 1), but did she respond to his proposal at all? Maybe she did and I just missed it. Anyway, I was super surprised by that. I am also glad Claudio got to marry Juliet. He didn't deserve to be in prison at all (in my opinion), so I am happy he was able to be with Juliet again.

Overall, I'm kind of dissatisfied with the ending of the play. I really liked to first four acts, but the last act bugged me. I don't feel like justice was served for Angelo, and the Duke's proposal to Isabelle bothers me. She wanted to be a nun. She refused Angelo's offer to save Claudio because she did not want to be dammed to Hell, only to have the Duke ask for her hand in marriage. I understand that a relationship between them would be very different than what Angelo had in mind, but it still bothers me. I wish she could continue on her journey to becoming a nun, not being stuck with the Duke. I mean, can you really say no to a Duke?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the end of the play leaves the reader wanting more. More explanations as to why characters, such as Isabella and Angelo make the decisions they do. Personally, I don't see how the decisions they made have any reasoning behind them. It's almost as if they are just tired of everything and in the end just settle for what they think will keep/make them happy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was left feeling dissatisfied with the ending and I think maybe it's because the only one who really makes out is the meddling Duke and Claudio. Also, I don't care for the eye for an eye, tit for tat, "Measure for Measure" form of justice - but then again isn't that what Shakespeare is making fun of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ending was definitely rushed feeling and the Duke's proposal was totally out of left field! I never knew nuns could be so alluring that they had tons of people after them all the time. I actually hate the fact the Duke proposes to Isabella, because I feel it just continues to discredit her as a person. It seems like no men in this play have any respect for women at all. It is all very do what you're told without question, which I get that's how it was, but I don't have to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly think Angelo deserved a greater punishment because he was seriously just an asshole the entire play. I'm not saying he should have died, but he at least should have gotten exiled forever. The Duke and Angelo can both be sent away, all they do is mess up everything.

    ReplyDelete