Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wowie wow wow; In Which I Make a Strange Comparison

SO today in class (yesterday, really), when we started to talk about Angelo's scumminess and his general self-awareness, and his creepy lust for Isabella, I started to think about other characters with the same amount of ick and self-righteousness.

As per usual, my brain danced it's way to Disneyworld.

I hope that y'all remember "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". Because, to me, Angelo is definitely exhibiting some Frollo-like tendencies over here (Speaking of more Victor Hugo characters; I saw the Javert comparison, and that was GREAT).

The scumminess and righteous/just/cold Carl attitude, the crazy lust for a fairly innocent maiden who just wants to do her own thing, while trying to do the right thing... It's intense, man. Especially when I start to think of Angelo singing "Hellfire", because then things get weird but they start to make a whole bucketload of sense.


Frollo knows he shouldn't be lusting for Esmerelda, but he cannot stop himself. And if he cannot have her, than no one can. He even attempts to guilt her into having sex with him so she can 'save' the gypsy camp. Disney gets dark, man. I rewatched this in my history class in high school, and it was definitely not the same film I remember as a youngster. But that's okay.

So. What do y'all think?!

2 of 5



3 comments:

  1. The way we see Disney movies definitely change as we get older, which is kinda sad, if everything in Disney movies reigned true throughout life, things would be awesome. Anyway back to my comment, now that you mention it, I can see how whole Angelo/Isabella relationship is relateable to that of the one between Esmeralda and Frollo. I'm kind of sad I didn't see this before, but now that the idea is in my head, I can't picture the relationship anyway other way. Kind of makes me wonder if Disney purposely outs connections to Shakespeare in their films. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't make this connection but I can totally see it! Like Frollo does with Esmeralda, Angelo definitely blames her for his lust. While he does acknowledge that he's a hypocrite, he ultimately blames it on her. Both really really creepy dudes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great comparison! Why didn't I think of it! Dang it lol. This really helps put it in to perspective, because Frollo is gross looking (his exterior reflects his interior) while the scene we saw in class was a little harder to see why she's resist...David Tennant is a bit of a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete