Friday, December 13, 2013

Gulliver's Travels (Houyhnhnms and Yahoos)

As I was reading Book IV I had to constantly remind myself that the Houyhnhnms were horses because they have so many human characteristics. I believe Swift wanted his audience to realize how selfish and self-absorbed humans can be. Also, Swift brings attention to the fact that humans(Yahoos) only value their honorable characteristics rather than the characteristics of others. It seems that humans constantly take advantage of things that are major components to their societies.
When Gulliver describes to the Master Houyhnhnm that horses are "creatures" where he comes from. The Master Houyhnhnm is somewhat applaud by his words. Gulliver then explains that horses are used for traveling, racing, and drawing chariots. The Houyhnhnms are in disbelief because they would rather not be weak like Yahoos (humans). This is very ironic because in the Houyhnhms society humans are weak creatures and in the Yahoos society the horses are weak creatures.
The Houyhnhms are very intelligent and concerned more with a collectivist attitude rather than an individualistic attitude.  Also, they breed cleanliness and civility in their young, and exercise them for speed and strength. However, what about the Yahoos? Gulliver states that the Yahoos were unable to learn, cowardly, hostile, and filled with rage. When Gulliver entered the house of the Houyhnhnms, he noticed that the Yahoos were all tied up and they had no way to escape. I know Dr. MB mentioned slavery and that is actually a brilliant point. Although these Houyhnhms are very unique and clever, could they also act as slave masters? I believe this is a strong possibility. The horses label themselves as superior and intelligent-- basically perfect. On the other hand, the Yahoos are weak and insufficient. The Houyhnhms have the ability to delete all Yahoos from their society and treat them as if they are unworthy. This to me sounds somewhat like slavery.
Overall, Gulliver's Travels is a brilliant book! I absolutely enjoyed it because it brings a lot of attention to certain problems different societies and humans have. In addition, Swift makes the content even more interesting because of the satire.


2 comments:

  1. It's funny how you mentioned that you had to keep reminding yourself that the horses were actually horses! I had to do the same. When reading I kept thinking Gulliver is talking to another man but oh no wait! He's talking to another horse. I agree though. I think it was completely the point of Swift to make them seem so regal and intelligent that the reader forgets what they look like

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Houyhnhnms reminded me of the ancient Greek philosophers, specifically the stoics. They were so busy trying to become perfect that, I feel, they lost all of their humanity. I also started to wonder if the Yahoos had always been the way they were or if they devolved over time.

    ReplyDelete