Monday, October 21, 2013

Doctor Faustus and The Clowns!

Okay, so we were told to find out what the clowns in act 3 symbolized? To be honest, I thought this was a very difficult question. I read this section about three times and I finally came up with something! Please don't mark me on this, I could be wrong! Robin (who was one of the clowns) says, " 'Tis no matter, let him come! An he follow us I'll conjure him as he was never conjured in his life, I warrant him. Let me see the cup"(50). This whole conversation between Robin and Dick (the clowns) is about stealing a simple cup. In my opinion, they are providing comic relief to show how Faustus wants magic for simple things. He has no real reason for why he wants to have magic. It seems that he only wants to use it because he has nothing else better to do with his life. When Vintner asked Dick and Robin did they steal the cup, they both said no. In reality, Robin uses his magic to make the cup disappear while Vintner is looking for it. This can relate to Doctor Faustus because it's basically stating how he will use his magic to tease people with immature tactics. Also, he is using the magic for his advantage. In addition, Robin calls on Mephostophilis and the other devils to enter for assistance. Doctor Faustus usually calls on Mephostophilis for assistance with his conniving duties.  If you  noticed every time Faustus calls on Mephostophilis, he is begging him for some type of information or help. This is exactly what the clowns did. With that being said, I realized that the clowns were just used to provide humor to the play. In reality Robin is used to resemble Doctor Faustus and his use of magic. 

1 comment:

  1. Ayanna,

    That's an interesting point! I hadn't thought about Robin being used to resemble Doctor Faustus, but rather saw him as being jealous of him. Even thought Robin could call Mephostophilis, he couldn't get what he wanted from him and the fact that Doctor Faustus could, pissed him off. Causing him to show off what the could do. Now that I think about it both ways, I think both ways are feasible :)

    ReplyDelete