Monday, October 21, 2013

Doctor Faustus just wants a friend!

After reading the first two acts of this, disturbing?, play I can actually say I feel bad for Doctor Faustus. At first, I didn't like this guy and I definitely didn't like his ego. He's accomplished so much and helped so many people, yet he still wants more. Envy and greed are clearly two sins friendly to Doctor F. 
I can relate to Doctor Faustus's sudden emptiness. He doesn't have anything, or more importantly anyone, to live for. Sure you should always do things for yourself, it's the first rule of self-esteem; and lesbihonest, Doctor F. Has no problem boasting about himself.
Besides that, he's alone. No one is there to tell him they're proud of him or anything. No wonder he's having this self absorbing crisis. 
I can relate to this fully, but I would not sell my soul just because I'm upset. That's what ice cream or a bottle of liquor are for! Instead he sells his soul and is given a demon, Mephostophilis. He has this demon for exactly twenty four years, (I don't know why twenty four) in service.  Despite the fact Doctor Faustus sold his soul, he does however gets what I think he needed most. A friend. Even though he is a demon and doesn't really fit with the ideals of the definition of "friendship", he is still there for Doctor Faustus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment