Sunday, October 20, 2013

Utopia


So, I am so glad we are done with Middle English. I mean, even though I did like the stories and how the language sounded read aloud (by other people of course…not me…that just sounded…just no.), I really like reading something that I can pronounce.

Sure, I may not be able to understand the high class philosophy and jokes that were clearly written to be funny in Latin or to someone with a brain the size of Modok (if you don’t know who he is Google it and rethink your life), but God dangit I can tell what a word is saying!

Anyways, to the actual text.

I entered this text having no prior experience with it other than knowing that it exists. I expected it to be like a typical experience about how, in a perfect world, everything is sunshines and rainbows. I thought it would be a relatively easy concept to grasp, you know? Like, Thomas More writes a scene where it is definitely hinting at how people of that time should rethink society or something.

But I have never been so wrong (Couldn't find the right Hobbit meme to fit this so deal with it).
Instead, I actually found Thomas More's utopia to be kind of disturbing. I mean, in an ideal world, shouldn't stuff like war, getting older, and dying be some kind of a myth? And what kind of peaceful and noble country would be so cowardly as to hire mercenaries to do the dirty work instead of confronting whatever problem themselves (and yes, I'm aware that there are many countries who may or may not do that even today)?
I know More's Utopia is a social critique and junk, but I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that there are still so many problems that exist in such a "perfect" society. And yes...I consider having no privacy a MAJOR problem.
Also, I know these aren't sheep, but use your imagination. And if you're offended by the language then, well, sorry I didn't make the dang thing.
 

1 comment:

  1. As much as Dr. MB may hate to hear this, I am actually a bit glad that the Middle English portion of the class is over. I loved listening to people speak the language. After all, it is quite beautiful. And the pronunciations made me smile at time, but I will not miss trying to sound like a know what I am saying when I have truly no idea. As for the utopia, I agree. It is funny to think that there can't even be a place with no problems. But in my opinion, we are the problem and we are the thing that hold the reality of a utopia back. Oh, and I liked your video.

    ReplyDelete