Saturday, October 19, 2013

Trying to walk in Doctor Faustus's shoes


I am finding Doctor Faustus to be the hardest book that we have read for class yet. If anyone agrees with this view point let me know in the comments please! I think it may be because of the play write style, something that I never got into, but I have had an extremely hard time understand and following all of the different characters in each scene. One thing that I did understand though was our discussion in class about Faustus and why he would decide to sign his soul away to the devil in the first place. I wanted to continue that discussion on the blog because I had been thinking, what if Faustus has nothing to live for anymore but his own amusement. Say he has no family, no wife, and no connections that hold him to this earth. What can be done in a situation like that? I am not saying that I agree with the idea of making friends with the devil- certainly not, but if I were to put myself in his shoes I can almost see his thought process. He is a bit egoistical I think, to dismiss various subject matters of the world without a second thought. “This study fits a mercenary drudge Who aims at nothing but external trash, Too servile and illiberal for me.” (32-34) But his dismal to me means that he has already given thought to these studies and they hold no interest for him because all they can really lend him is knowledge. What he really wants is a connection into the magical world. What would you do if you had nothing in the world worth living for besides your own amusement (assuming that Faustus has nothing to connect with)?

1 comment:

  1. I was very skeptical when I first started reading Dr. Faustus, but after awhile I actually started to like it a lot. However, as the play progressed I got more and more anger with Faustus because he is such a smart guy but makes some stupid decisions. I've said this so many times, but Dr. Faustus is just an utter fool. It's ironic how he is a doctor yet so foolish.

    ReplyDelete